Also:

Also view the Calgary blog for more insights and photos: CJAIsrael2018.blogspot.com

Thursday, April 28, 2016

Family First and Shwarma Second, by Sarah

Well, it’s finally that time in our lives to visit the holiest country in the world that we’ve been studying about for years. Some of us 10 years, some maybe 5, or 3, or even 1 year. But that doesn’t matter. What matters is the fact that we are here together to experience it together as a מִשׁפָּחָה (family).

Our exciting trip began with departing the crowded, yet smelly plane with excitement, joy, and of course, (all being teenagers,) laziness! We then met up with our tour guide and we were on our way to Jerusalem from Tel Aviv! We went to the overlook of Armon Hanatziv with the Calgary kids and did Schehechaynu on the mountain itself. And of course checking into our hotel and yada, yada , yada.

We work as a family and that means having to drag each other up the Ancient City of King David at 8:30 in the morning…. uphill. It was an eventful yet dramatic, and amazing morning! We went through Hezikiah’s tunnel. When we went through the long narrow, tight tunnel, we went into waist high water…. Did I mention it was freezing at first? It was a very tight space and I, (Sarah), do admit that I did have a little panic attack and was claustrophobic but after sinking into the water, and reality that I was making the biggest deal for nothing, I had an amazing journey through the tight, scary, narrow tunnel…oy vey! Us Edmonton kids found out that the Calgary kids are afraid of the dark!!! 
We demanded to turn all lights off and do it the intense way of feeling around the tunnel but nope! The Calgary kids wanted the lights on and do it the “safe” way. So we boo’d them till we got out of the tunnel which made us happy again.

After the tunnel and uphill walk, the girls changed into their religious clothing and we were on our way to the Old City. We went to the Kotel, underground tunnels of the Western Wall, ate Shawarma!! The Western wall was a very deep moment for me, and I hope I speak for the rest of the group. I went up, touched it, kissed it, prayed and let in the moment. It was a bit overwhelming…and the women there really like pushing you if you’re in their way, so be aware. Overall, the feeling of being in the ancient city is incredible.  You have to go for yourself and see.

I think a big message we have learnt so far on this trip is being part of the family. Even if they aren’t “biologically” part of you, I got to enjoy today with my TT family that I’ve grown up with for almost my whole life. Even though I haven’t covered much about being a family so far, we all enjoy and share these little connections and moments like this that will last a lifetime. I’m so grateful for all these things the boys, and Calgary kids have done so far to show and prove that we are all family. And I can’t wait to share three weeks with my מִשׁפָּחָה. My name is Sarah, and I approve this messageJ


Yallah, Bye. 

No comments:

Post a Comment